If you have been to China before, I am sure you would see lots of Chinese squatting anytime, anywhere.
You may be puzzled, confused or intrigued to know why we like to squat, but since this is not part of the culture in Hong Kong*, I try to make up top 5 reasons why mainland Chinese** like to squat.
|Photo via strippedpixel|
1. Practice Makes Perfect – Chinese use squat toilets more than sitting toilets***, in order to have strong thighs to support our little business, we need to practise more.
2. Talk At Same Eye Level – Remember when you talk to a really tall guy for 10 minutes and you neck starts to feel sore? That’s why we squat so everyone can talk at the same eye level without pain.
3. Mysophobia – You want us to sit on the dirty floor? What you are talking about? We are such a clean freak that we have absolutely zero tolerance to allow our ass to touch that stinky, dirty, disgusting floor. NO WAY.
4. Healthy - Modern science has proven the squat as an efficient posture that reduces pain on the patellar (knee) tendon. Need me to say more?
5. Remember Us – is there any easier, better, more compelling way to let you all to remember us? Just a simple squat, yes you guess right, we are Chinese.
* If a Hong Konger impersonates a Chinese, the first thing he/she would do is to squat.
** I know Hong Kong people are also Chinese, but we still like to categorize into Hong Kong Chinese and mainland Chinese.
*** A lot of people prefer sitting toilets than squat toilets, but believe me, if you travel to rural area in China, you would never want to sit on a toilet.